What is Microsoft Access – Advantages & Components
Microsoft Office Access or MS Access is a database developed by Microsoft. It is a part of Microsoft Office software.
Microsoft Access is one of the most easy-to-use databases. We can create as many applications without writing a single line of code. Microsoft Access provides a very powerful programming language – Visual Basic for Application (VBA).
Advantages of Microsoft Access
* It is easy to use and can be used by any individual even if he has very less knowledge about Microsoft Access or any databases with just minimal training and learning required.
* It uses visual development tools which makes it pleasant to use just like a book with pictures.
* We can use native languages in computer programs which makes it easy to use and convenient for everybody whether he/she speaks English or any other language.
* It stores data in its own format based on the Access Jet Database Engine.
* Microsoft Access also allows us to link related information easily.
* It can also link directly to data stored in other applications and databases.
* Access can also use a wide variety of other data formats and understand them as well.
* We can export and import data from files, spreadsheets, or database files directly.
* Microsoft Access can work with the most popular databases that support Open Database Connectivity such as structured Query Language(SQL) Server, Oracle, and Database 2(DB2).
* Microsoft Access is used by software developers to develop application software.
Components of MS Access have been divided into six main groups:
*Tables – It is one of the main component for storing the structure and data of the Microsoft Access database.
* Requests – Query by Example(QBE) and structured Query Language(SQL) queries are made to the database to find information.
* Shape -It is used for easy entry, viewing, and editing.
* Reports – for the preparation and good-view presentation of document data to print.
* Page – To provide access to the Microsoft Access database with the Web- page. It is important to have an Internet connection for computer programs including Microsoft Access.
* Macros – Macros are basically an inner Visual Basic for Applications(VBA) program for Microsoft Access. In other words, we can say that macros expand the capabilities of Microsoft Access and help to automate repeatable tasks or other complex tasks.
* Modules – Modules are used to automate routine operations and establish new procedures.
We need to purchase a license to use Microsoft Access. Microsoft Corporation distributes the full version of Access alone or with other applications (Word, Excel, etc.) as part of the Microsoft Office package. Visit office.com/setup for more information.